Did you know ? that breastfeeding you new baby within the first hours of life can greatly improve your child’s chance of being a healthy human being( now you know)
According to the UN ,an estimated 78 million newborns have a higher risk of death each year from not drinking their mother’s milk within the first hours of being born, .
The World Health Organization (WHO) and UNICEF, the UN children’s agency, have published a convincing report after observing mothers in about 76 developing -type countries.
The report shows statistics that two out of five babies are breastfed immediately after being born with East and Southern Africa women having the majority , East Asia and the Pacific women have the minority in this case.
“Each year, millions of newborns miss out on the benefits of early breastfeeding and we are to blame for this,” said Henrietta Fore ,executive director of UNICEF .
Reasons for the Low First Hour Breastfeed Rate
- Lack of support from the medical personnel at the health facilities.
- Practices like — throwing away the mother’s first milk and feeding the infant with formula.
- Increase in the amount of caesarean births.
- In Africa,traditional beliefs and illiteracy are a major issue.
Earlier studies show how delaying breastfeeding between two and 23 hours increases an infant’s risk of dying by 33 percent.
Among newborns who started breastfeeding a day or more after birth, the risk was more than twice as high.
Colostrum, the first milk produced by mothers, is very nutritious and helps prepare the baby’s digestive tract for breast-milk digestion.
Benefits of breastfeeding
- Breast-milk is the perfect infant formula for your baby-it contains vitamins, protein, fat and everything nice.
- Strengthens the baby’s immune system as breast milk contains antibodies that helps in fighting diseases
- Faster weight loss after pregnancy(breast-milk contains about 20 calories per ounce, so do the math)
- Aid in the Detection of breast Cancer,so the longer you breast feed your infant the better for you.
- Research shows that breastfed babies become smarter children.
- Breast feeding improves the bond between a mother and baby.
- Lowers the baby’s risk of having asthma or allergies.
- It can also help mothers relax.
- Its cheaper to breastfeed .
If you are struggling with breastfeeding problems we ‘ve got you covered (BABY ADVICE)
Check out:7 most common breastfeeding problems and simple ways to deal with them
UNICEF recommend that babies should be exclusively breastfed up to an age of six months, after which they can begin incorporating some food and other liquid into their diet alongside breastfeeding.
Call to Action1: Let’s actively support our loved ones (sisters,mothers,wives ,colleagues) to breast feed both at home and public places.
Call to Action 2: In the spirit of supporting the women, kindly SHARE this post to your wives, sisters, girlfriends…
Your kind gesture might just save a baby.